Fees and Funding
The University of Waterloo assesses the following student fees on behalf of the Federation of Students and transfers the funds to the Federation for disbursement. Payment of the fees is a requirement of registration. More details about each fee is broken down below.
NOTE: All regular (non co-op) students are charged $55.00 (health plan) and $45.00 (dental plan) in addition to the complete academic term fee ($200.00 shown above) each academic term preceding an off term (to provide health and dental coverage during the off term). All co-op students pay an additional $94.81 (health plan) and $83.63 (dental plan) in addition to the complete academic term fee each term preceding a work term.
Feds Operational Budget
Download the spreadsheet of the Feds Operational Budget 2016 - 2017
The Federation of Students Fee is a non-refundable amount that is paid by every undergraduate student. Part-time students pay 30% of the fee. At the beginning of the Executives' term of office, all of the departments plan out their spending for the year. These plans are then submitted to the Vice President, Operations and Finance.
The fee is divvied into various departments to support the organization. The following breakdown outlines the plan of spending for the year. Although the budget is an organic document by nature, it is intended to be followed.
- President (6%): The office of the President is charged with providing leadership to the Federation of Students, as well as being the primary representative of the student body with the University. This budget encompasses all of the expenses of the President, Student Government, Elections, the Research and Policy Officer, and Orientation.
- VP Operations & Finance (4%): The office of the VP Operations & Finance is charged with the oversight of the finances and operations of the Federation of Students. This portion of your fee goes to the expenses of the VPOF and this includes the Student Event Venue Subsidy.
- VP Internal (13%): The office of the VP Internal is charged with the administration of all of the clubs and services of the Federation of Students. Included in this are the costs to operate the Campus Life department as well as the costs for operating all of the Feds’ services and special events.
- VP Education (9%): The office of the VP Education is charged with the representation of students on academic issues at uWaterloo, and all levels of government. This budget includes all of the costs of CASA/OUSA membership, academic, municipal, provincial and federal lobbying, and the expenses of the VPED.
- Marketing (7%): The marketing department exists to serve our services as well as promote our organization as a whole. They administer our website, facilitate various marketing avenues including the poster run, produce the yearly student handbook, and generally assist student groups with their marketing needs.
- General Office (28%): The General Office department is the backbone of Feds. Encompassed in this budget are IT, Accounting, and the General Manager, who support all aspects of the organization and are instrumental in its success.
- Service Salaries (23%): These funds are used to pay the full-time staff that supports the service aspects of the organization.
- IT (10%)
The Federation of Students Administered Fees is a bundled fee that is compulsory upon registration. Refunds are available for some items covered by this fee and must be requested, generally, three weeks after the start of the term. The fee includes charges for the following:
- The Health and Dental plan fee provides health and dental coverage for undergraduate students with the assistance of StudentCare networks. Students can opt out or enroll spouse/dependents at www.studentcare.ca during the Change-of-Coverage Period. Inquiries about the coverage can also be directed to the Health and Dental office in the Health Services, room 1006. During the winter term, regular students pay twice the rate for Health and Dental coverage to ensure continuous coverage from May through August.
- The UPASS fee is a non-refundable fee collected on behalf of Grand River Transit. The fee is paid by full-time undergraduate students on academic term; students can also use the pass during an academic co-op, or off term. The Federation of Students issues a tax receipt each Winter term for students to claim transit credits on their income tax return. Visit the UPASS page to download and print them. This UPASS fee reflects an increase of $4.39 (6.5%) per term.
- The Student Refugee Program fee sponsors eligible students from refugee camps abroad to continue their studies and improve their lives at the University of Waterloo. The fee levy covers all of the student's academic and living expenses for two years. With the support of uWaterloo and its affiliated colleges, the students are able to live on residence, receive meal plans and other services. The refund period for this fee is at the beginning of each term, and can be obtained by coming to the Feds office in the SLC and showing your WatCard.
Incidental Fees are charged to your student account in each term that you are enrolled in at least one on-campus course. You need to pay all the fees posted to your student account in full each term in order to be registered for that term. Refunds are available for some of these fees. For an explanation of incidental fees not administered through the Federation of Students, please see the uWaterloo undergraduate incidental fees page to learn more about them and how to opt out.