Health and Dental Plan
To help University of Waterloo students pay for the health services they need, FEDS has partnered with Studentcare in order to provide students with extended health and dental coverage. The Plan is designed specifically for students to cover many services not covered by OHIP and other basic health-care programs.
Who’s Automatically Covered?
Full-time undergraduate students who are members of FEDS and who are enrolled in 1.5 on-campus credits are automatically covered by the FEDS/GSA Health & Dental Plan. This includes international students, co-op students on officially recognized work terms, and students who are attending Waterloo on exchange.
Among other features, the Plan covers health, dental, vision, and travel benefits:
- 80% for prescription drugs (including most oral contraceptives) and vaccinations
- $3,600 for health practitioners (psychologists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- $275 in vision care (eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery)
- $750 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- $1,000,000 in travel health coverage per incident and 150 days per trip
- Ambulances, dental accidents, medical equipment, and more! Visit www.studentcare.ca for complete details
How Can I Save More?
You can also further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Chiropractic, Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy, and Pharmacy Networks.
Where Can I Access Mental Health Resources?
Studentcare is happy to facilitate access to a variety of mental health resources—online, in person, and over the telephone—for all FEDS members. Find out more here.
How Much does it Cost?
Please visit www.studentcare.ca for complete details.
Can I Change my Coverage?
You have the ability to manage your coverage so that it works for you. Visit www.studentcare.ca during the appropriate Change-of-Coverage Period to use the secure, online opt-out or enrollment system, and follow the detailed instructions.
Introducing the Plan to your Family. You can enroll your family (spouse and /or dependants) each year by paying an additional fee, over and above your fee as a member of the Plan. Common law and same-sex couples are eligible.
Eligibility details, coverage periods, and family enrollment fees are available at www.studentcare.ca.
Opting Out. The choice is always yours if you wish to opt out of the health portion, the dental portion, or the Plan in its entirety.
It’s an easy 3-STEP process:
1. Use the secure, online opt-out processing system at www.studentcare.ca.
2. Upload proof of your alternative health coverage if you are opting out of the health portion of the Plan(such as a copy of your benefits card or a letter from your parent or spouse’s employer). If you are opting out of the dental portion of the Plan, you do not need to provide proof of alternative dental coverage.
3. Receive a cheque for the amount of the Plan shortly after the end of the Change-of-Coverage Period.
- Fall Term students: Sept. 6 - 28 , 2016
- New Winter Term students: Jan. 3 - 23, 2017
- New Spring Term students: May 1 - 19, 2017
Have More Questions?
Information is available online at www.studentcare.ca or by calling the Studentcare Member Services Centre at 1 866 369-8794, Mon. - Fri. from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.