How to Start a Club
Interested in creating your own club? Feds has a fast and simple process to help you get started! Please see the Important Dates page for termly deadlines.
Here are the steps:
- (Highly recommended) Make an appointment with the Clubs Manager to discuss your application before you begin.
- Review the Feds Clubs Manual prior to submitting your Club Package for more information on how to start and operate your club.
- Build your constitution off this new fill-in-the-blank template (updated Spring 2016).
- Log into the Clubs Admin using your quest credentials. Select Your Club Applications. Select New Club Application. Copy and paste the relevant sections from your constitution draft from step 3.
All new clubs must be approved by the Internal Administration Committee (IAC), which is made up of student councillors, and students at large. The deadline for new club applications is the third week of classes each term, and your application should include a Club Package with a Club Constitution and cover letter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Clubs Manager.
- All clubs are fully inclusive. Anyone who wishes to join your club must be accepted as a member of your club.
- All clubs require a minimum of 15 members
- At least 67% of club membership must be current University of Waterloo students (graduate or undergraduate)
- Executive Members must be current University of Waterloo Students (graduate or undergraduate), and the majority must be undergraduate
- The president must be a current University of Waterloo undergraduate student
- All club finances (sponsorships, event revenues, purchases/expenses, etc.) must go through your Federation of Students club bank account. Every club has one automatically created for them.
- Your club's purpose/mandate cannot overlap with the purpose/mandate of any other existing group on campus at the University of Waterloo.
- The club must adhere to all University of Waterloo and Federation of Students policies and procedures.
Maintaining a club
Already a club member? Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- New Training Sessions are held at the beginning of each term. Make sure you check out the event calendar for exact dates and room numbers every term!
- A review of the Clubs Manual and completion of the Acknowledgement and Signing Authority Form must be completed each term to remain active. Please email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will also be able to find all necessary documents under Important Forms.
Joining a club
Interested in joining a club? Feds has a number of clubs for you to choose from. Be sure to check our Clubs Listing for a list of currently active clubs. Be sure to attend Clubs and Societies Days in the SLC Great Hall to learn more about each club. Clubs and Societies Days will take place each term on the Thursday and Friday of the second week of classes.